Welcome to Wesley-Knox!
Moving in the Spirit...
A diverse, welcoming, caring and active faith community
A place to learn, grow, build a relationship with God and make a difference in the world
Thank you for visiting our website. If you are a Wesley-Knox member looking for information, we hope you will find it here. If you are a visitor, we hope you will take time to look around and learn about our church. For additional information, please contact us, or better yet, visit us on a Sunday morning. You will receive a warm welcome!
Come this Sunday at 10:30 am!
We’re at 91 Askin Street in Old South London...
Click here for a Google map
You will receive a warm welcome.
News and Events...
This Weekend at Wesley-Knox
• This is John Dominic Crossan Lectures weekend. See item below. Even more information on the special Crossan2017 website here. No, it’s not too late! Walk-ins are always welcome.
• On Saturday evening, after the Crossan lectures, join in the fun at Wesley-Knox’s Second Annual Halloween Dance, 8 pm to midnight plus at the London Music Club, 470 Colborne Street, London. Live band, silent auction, card reading, dancing and costume contests. Tickets $25 per person. This is a fundraiser for the Wesley-Knox Growth Campaign. Full colour poster available here.
• Sunday morning will be busy. At 9 am (the poster says 9:30, but 9 is correct), John Dominic Crossan will offer an open question and answer session in the Centennial Parlour. All welcome. At 10:30 am come to worship led by Rev. Tracy Crick-Butler and the Senior Choir. John Dominic Crossan will offer his sermon, “The Greatest Prayer”. The choir’s anthem features big organ and timpani. Service bulletin is available here.
• Sunday finishes at 5-6 pm with the Out-of-the-Cold team offering its monthly hospitality dinner.
• The Fall-Thanksgiving KSC newsletter continues to be available for distribution by our District Visitors. It can also be read online here.
John Dominic Crossan Lecture Weekend...
• Full information and online registration on the special Crossan 2017 website here. For inquiries and telephone registration, telephone 519.471.2160.
• At press time, registrars Neil and Margaret Eadie have taken in over 100 registrations from as far away as Windsor, Chatham, Mitchell, Stratford, Hamilton, the Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa and even one from Maryland! While walk-ins are always welcome, it really helps to have registered beforehand. It means a name tag with your name and city on it will be waiting for you when you arrive at Wesley-Knox.
Proposed New Governance Model
On May 17, the Wesley-Knox Official Board accepted a report to reform the Governance Model of Wesley-Knox as a pilot project for 2017. Copies of the report are available on the table at the back of the church sanctuary, in the church office, and online below. Here are some of the highlights:
• The current structure of ”Council and Official Board“ will be phased out. A transition team will lead the congregation through this process.
• A nine-member leadership team plus the Minister, will replace the current Board and Council structure.
• The number of Standing Committees will be reduced from eleven to six.
• The six Committees will play an expanded role in the “day-to-day activities” of our church.
• As a church member or adherent, you will have an opportunity to take an active role in the work of the six committees. May God lead you in this direction...
Prepare yourself for a “Lunch and Learn” meeting after church on Sunday, October 15. This “Lunch and Learn” will be part of the regular communication that will be coming from the transition team to ensure that you understand the governance model and the process by which it will be implemented.—Cathy Grasby, chair, Council and Official Board
Notes from All Over
• Friday Movie Nights are a great way to unwind after a busy week and spend some time with new friends and old. Movies begin at 7:30 pm. There’s free popcorn and beverages during the movie, decaf and dessert afterwards. Here’s the Fall schedule:
October 13: La la Land with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone
November 3: Maude with Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke
November 17: Eddie the Eagle with Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman
Descriptive flyer is available here.
• Congratulations to Kennedy Kimber-Johnson and Owen Spicer who were each awarded a $250 Spirit Organ Scholarship to assist them in their ongoing studies. The two scholarships were provided by the Wesley-Knox Senior Choir.
• Last year, Wesley-Knox sponsored a family from Syria. They continue grateful to be in Canada and come to Sunday worship regularly. More information on our Syrian Family page here.
• Kevin White’s Bread not Stones song continues to be available on YouTube. Listen to it here! Also, if you are a subscriber to Rogers Cablevision, check out the channel 13 the program guide for an excellent 30-minute Dishing with Donald segment about the Bread not Stones initiative. Also look for a 30-minute Dishing segment about our Wesley-Knox Director of Music, Karen Schuessler, and the Karen Schuessler Singers, this year celebrating its 25th Anniversary Season!
• Christmas is coming! Cathie Banks advises that there is lots of wool at the back of the sanctuary. Knitters! Please take wool home and do your magic! Knitted articles can be left on the large table at the back of the sanctuary.
Photographers’ Picks and Videofiles...
Wesley-Knox was front and centre at the Sunday, July 30 London Pride Parade.
More photos of this event and other recent events on the Wesley-Knox Facebook page here.
Throughout the year, at almost every Wesley-Knox event, you’ll find Brian Dalton, Brian Mackinnon, John McFall and sometimes others taking photos. Often, within minutes, they are posted to a Wesley-Knox Facebook page. The photos are also archived on Flickr and, once a year, John McFall dives into this vast archive to produce a comprehensive and much-appreciated pictorial review for the Annual General Meeting. Here is John’s 2016 Pictorial Review, music is by our Wesley-Knox choirs. To view, click on the image below. You will be taken to a YouTube site. Choose full screen, turn up the sound and enjoy!